1. Its name comes from Moby Dick.
The original name was Pequods, which is the name of the ship in the book.
The name was later rejected and became Starbucks, the name of the chief mate on the ship.
2. The Trenta size cup is larger than the human stomach.
The volume of the Trenta size is about 916 ml and it holds 30.9 ounces.
The volume of the human stomach is about 900 ml. See Full Starbucks Menu
3. The Cinnamon Chip Scone has more calories than a Quarter Pounder.
The scone has about 480 calories, which is 70 more calories than the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder has. View nutrition info for Starbucks
4. There’s a secret size that’s not on the menu.
The 8-ounce “short” cup is another size that customers can order.
Originally, Starbucks had two sizes: the 8 oz. and the 12 oz.
The 8 oz. is still around for those who enjoyed it.
View the full Starbucks Secret Menu >>>
5. There are over 87,000 drink combination possibilities.
Starbucks started advertising this number in 2008.
Starbucks spokeswoman Lisa Passe explained how they came up with it:
“If you take all of our core beverages, multiply them by the modifiers and the customization options, you get more than 87,000 combinations.”
6. An average of two stores have opened daily for 27 years.
Starbucks has been opening 2-3 stores every day since 1987.
7. There are currently over 16,000 locations.
There are over 16,000 locations, and 2/3 of those are inside the United States.
There are 291 stores in New York City alone.
8. Starbucks spends more on health care than it does on coffee beans.
Each year, the company spends roughly $300 million on health care for its employees.
This is something that the CEO, Howard Schultz, is not willing to give up.
9. Last year’s profit was $1.25 billion.
The company was originally purchased for $38 million.
Last year’s profit was $1.25 billion, which is enough to buy two grande drinks for every American.
10. Loyal customers visit an average of 16 times per month.
“Loyal customers” make up 20% of the company’s sales.
The average loyal customer purchases a Starbucks drink 16 times every month.
11. The logo has been changed 3 times.
The logo has been changed three times, the last change taking place in 2011.
Now, there are no words on the logo.
BONUS: Starbucks has a secret menu you’ve probably never tried.
View the full Starbucks Secret Menu here: